Monday, March 25, 2013

Remodel Mayhem

I know people say that "it has to get worse before it gets better" but does that really have to apply to my house?

We are in the middle of major reconstruction in the Hundred Acre Woods.  (That's what I've decided to call the home front until we come up with something more fitting).

This weekend Kelly came up from Chicago and my to-do list included things like hanging curtains and repainting the bedroom. Little did I know we were going to end up completely tearing my bathroom out, ripping up the counter tops in the kitchen, completely patching in the pantry and banging on every possible board in the house.
I must be so naive to think that - oh the guys are going to put the new tub and vanity in, Al is going to make a hole in the wall in the kitchen and Ben will wrap the countertops up in no time. All I have to worry about is the curtains and decorating the guest room. lalalalala happy dumb lala girl face lalala.
WHAT WAS I THINKING?!
When there are 5 guys in your house, all in different rooms and they all seem to be breaking, pounding and cracking things it gets a little overwhelming. My first, and pretty much only reaction was "I'm going to cry myself to sleep in the corner of the closet. Let me know when you're done". The people at Lowe's actually know who we are now. A week ago I didn't know where anything in Lowe's was, now I can take you directly to what I need and more than likely know the part number. The girl behind the pro service counter is my new best friend. She knows when I need coffee.
I adore the fact that we have such handy friends. They have been a huge help talking me through the steps, fixing my flawed design plans and making my buy, return, and repurchase the right pieces.
It'll all be worth it in the end but right now it's making me want to hide away until it's over.

I promise I've been taking lots of pictures to document the changes. Most of them are on the little camera I've left at the house. I'll have to make a blog per room when they're done. Here are a few from the bathroom so far......

This is what it looked like when we bought it. Pink. Very very Pink. The original game plan included replacing the tub and vanity. The newest game plan includes replacing the tub, vanity, and toilet. Removing and replacing all the drywall for green board and replacing all the trim. Oh! and replacing the flooring. (which I happened to like.) Oy!  

This is just the beginning. My first reaction... Why didn't they leave that exquisite floral wallpaper? 

After the tub walls came down, before we had to beat the snot out of the tub to get it out. Kelly took some really cool pictures of Justin and I working our tails off to get it out. 
At the bottom of the picture you can see my laundry chute. Which I am not being allowed to keep. :-( It takes up too much space in the guest room closet. 



Those are all the pics I had on my cell phone. I have lots more on the camera at home. I'm super curious to see how far the guys have gotten today. They were going to put up the bathroom drywall and the drywall to cover the weird kitchen pantry. 

On a happy note I've finally figured out what I'm going to hang in the guestroom. There are strange hooks in the corner of the room so I thought I would hang some sort of mobile for decoration. I came across this picture and thought it would be perfect. 


I've been collecting skeleton keys for almost 2 years now and this will put them to good use. 10 point to you if you know what the is from. 



TagLine*WakeMeUpWhenSeptemberEnds?





2 comments:

  1. weren't there flying skeleton keys in one of the scenes from the Harry Potter movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 points to you Rick! they are from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love, ideas, or a funny joke :)