Monday, January 7, 2013

About Muffin...

I haven't posted in several days because I'm heart broken.
My darling Miss Muffin has lamenitis in all 4 feet.

Here is a link that explains it better than I can. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminitis#Rotation.2C_sinking.2C_and_founder

Basically she's having a really hard time walking and moving around on her own. Her tendons are so tight and stiff that sometimes she can't bend her legs at all.
I can't even talk about it without wanting to cry. The other morning we went out to feed her and she literally couldn't move at all. We had to manually pick up one foot at a time to try to get her out of her stall and it took us almost an hour. Even then her leg was straight as a board so she could only go about 3" at a time.
We finally got enough momentum going that she was able to walk around the arena a few times.
You can see how uncomfortable she is but bless her heart she keeps pushing on and trying for us. I can see in her eyes that she is trying so hard but her body isn't doing what her head is telling her to do.

She's also on a blood thinner and metabolism booster to get her circulation moving and help her loose some pounds. The vet also thinks she has something going on with her thyroid so she's on meds for that too.

Mom and Justin built a round pen in the indoor arena so she doesn't have to go back in her stall. That seems to help a little bit because it gives her the ability to move around. Not that she's doing it as often as she should be. I don't blame her tho, why would you force yourself to move when it hurts? Frank, the barn owner also built a round pen outside for her. The snow helps a bit because her feet are so hot. However, when he took the tractor out to clear the snow and make room for the gates they left ruts which have since frozen. They are sharp and hard on her feet. Poor thing.

We've also had to really limit her diet. She's gained some weight and being heavy on sore feet is no good. Now she's on a super strict diet. The weight gain was basically a case of too much love. Giving lessons and being out there every day she got lots of treats. Plus she's everyones favorite horse so whenever she looked hungry or acted like she needed attention someone fed her. UGH!

I feel so helpless. I wish I could carry her home and snuggle her.


This is what her new round pen set up looks like. She moves a bit better in it. 

 She was making silly faces at us. This was after we finally got her out of her stall.




And oh yeah, after a few weeks off I was back at Jan's Deli this morning. It was nice to get in and take my mind off things. I made Raspberry Lemonade and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough because the other day I had a bride come in raving about those being her two favorites. 




So there you have it. My life as of now in a nutshell. 

Tagline*GetWellSoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love, ideas, or a funny joke :)