Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Blueberry Cobbler & Tiramisu Cupcakes

The other day I wanted to make a few things that I had never ever made before. It's really easy to do the same things over and over again. Chocolate Peanut Butter is my ultimate go to cupcake. I make them for everything. And I love them. But I'm sure my boss would like to see something different from time to time.

As I was on Pinterest I came across these delightful looking blackberry cobbler cupcakes. I was pretty sure tho that it wasn't blackberry season (like I have any idea) so I swapped it out for blueberries.  By the way, pinterest is a total addiction and if I don't get my sh*t together soon Justin is going to send me to counselling.

I started by going to the grocery store. I think fresh fruit is so much better than the frozen cop out stuff. You can seriously taste the difference. I feel like the only time it's acceptable to use frozen fruit is in smoothies. Hmmm..... now I want a smoothie. BRB.    



Yes, that really just happened. Thank goodness I work next door to a place that provides me coffee and smoothies on a regular basis. Bonus: it's like 40 degrees out today. Bam! Heatwave! 
Back to you're regularly scheduled blog:

CUPCAKES
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1‑3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup milk
1‑1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs    
3 cups fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries

STREUSEL
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned or quick oats
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Start by whipping the butter & sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well in between each egg. Add vanilla. In a separate bowl mix all of your dry ingredients then slowly add them into your butter mix. Real cooks say you should alternate the flour mix and milk until all ingredients are incorporated. Not me. Oh no she didn't. I pour my flour in and immediately follow it with the milk. It's like those people that don't like their food to touch. It's all going to the same place anyways. sheesh.
Ok, so mix all ingredients well, scraping the bowl to make sure you don't have any sneaky flour chunks hiding out in the bottom. It's always so annoying to come across those as you are putting the batter into the liners.
Oh yeah! The blueberries!! Dump 'em in when everything else is well mixed. If you put them in too early or mix them too much your batter will turn this weird green gray very unappetizing color. Not that I've ever done that before.........
Once your blueberries are incorporated grab your ice cream scoop and put the batter in the liners. 3/4 of the way full. It seems silly to use an ice cream scoop but if you have one of them that has the push button wiper blade thingy in it they work like a gem!

This is what it should look like at this stage:


Bake for 20ish minutes at 325 for the small ones. The larger ones take a bit longer - once you pull the small ones out check your larger ones every 5 minutes until finished. 
Once out of the oven they should look like this: 
(Side note: Just heard the best pick up line ever!! "I bet I can guess your weight, if I hug you".)


So there they are in all their golden brown glory. Another positive for using fresh fruit - they don't sink to the bottom and get all soggy like frozen fruit. 
On to the streusel : Take all of those ingredients and mix them well. I'm pretty darn sure I did that part wrong. My mix was really moist. Haha to you if you are one of those people that hates the word moist. So I added another half cup of flour & then baked it at 350 for about 20 minutes. I would say if you are going to do this add 1/4 cup flour & 1/4 cup brown sugar. Mine turned out alright but it wasn't as sweet as I wanted it to be. Once the streusel was ready I let it cool. Duh. :)

Frosting - 
I had some left over cinnamon butter cream from some other cupcakes I made and I thought it would work out perfect on these cupcakes. I piped it on, cupped the streusel in my hand and very strategically, and mushed it onto the side on the frosting. 

They turned out a little something like this: 
Not bad right?



I also made some Tiramisu Cupcakes. 
I made a tiramisu once and it turned out like a hot sloppy mess. I was so disappointed. We used to do what we called "Sweet Sunday" with Tiffiney and Mike. It was very exclusive and basically one of us would make a desert and we would meet at Tim's for some coffee & baileys. Well I had it in my head that tiramisu always looked so fancy and they would be so impressed with me. That was not the case. I figured if it called for 2 tablespoons of kahlua and I put 1/2 cup it would only get better. Nope, it only got really soggy. Ick.    
Anyways, I'm happy to report my Tiramisu Cupcakes turned out much much better. 

Cake
1 box Vanilla Bean Cake Mix
2 egg whites
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup strong coffee (I used instant coffee) 
Filling / Frosting:
8 oz mascarpone
1 tablespoon strong coffee
2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk to thin

For this recipe I just dumped all of my ingredients into the kitchenade and mixed them well. Scooped and baked, (325 for 20 minutes) then let cool. The cupcakes came out so light and fluffy. It was awesome. Sometime I surprise myself  when things I haven't made before turn out really good. 
For the frosting I whipped the mascarpone (which is really hard to find in stores. Glen's carries it tho) until it was soft and smooth. Then I added the cream cheese and mixed some more. After that I put in the powdered sugar until it was a thick frosting. I added the coffee, and vanilla. That helped lighten it up but it was still pretty thick. I added a little splash of milk at a time until it was the consistency I wanted. 
From there I piped the frosting on. Oh, also on the large cupcakes I cut a cone out of the center & filled it with the frosting. 

I thought I would try a new technique on these because they were so light and delicate. This is how it turned out: 


See it looks like a rose, sort of. The trick to this is instead of starting from the outside and working in you start from the inside and work your way out. Then a little sprinkle of cocoa powder and it was good to go. 

These might be my new favorites. Although Justin and I started a diet and I brought one home to eat and it ended up sitting on my table until I threw it away. I was so sad. But I have lost 5 lbs. so that's good I guess? I'm kind of in that stage where I'm like do I want to look good in a wedding dress or do I want to be able to eat all the cupcake? Ugh. Decisions, decisions. Also, Justin hasn't proposed or anything but I'm sure he'll get around to it eventually so I'm planning ahead. Sometimes I talk to him like he already has and I go on planning my imaginary wedding. LOL awkward. 





TagLine*WhatEverColorWillMyBridesmaidsWear?







1 comment:

Leave me some love, ideas, or a funny joke :)