Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advice from the Over Planner

Back in the day I didn't plan anything. I went with the flow and was super mellow about whatever happened. Literally nothing bothered me. Until, I ended up with some super crummy roommates that were never sure if they'd be able to pay their bills, make it to work on time or cook a meal on their own. I grew up pretty quickly when I became a pseudo parent to this grown up children. Always making sure I have enough extra money in my bank account to cover rent so our landlord wouldn't get mad, waking them up and even doing their laundry so they'd make it to work. What a joke! Needless to say, after all that ridiculousness my carefree attitude went out the window and I cracked down on being organized.
I'm organized to the point now that I own not one, not two, but THREE planners, plus at least 2 calendars. I even made a 'Christmas Binder' this year that included my mailing list, my recipes, my gift receipts and more. I thought I was a little over obsessed when I started putting it together but it really came in handy. My gifts were wrapped the first week of December and I've been laying low since then.

So what does any of this have to do with cupcakes?

Recently I had a gal ask for some advice because she had agreed to make cupcakes for a friends wedding and had never made an order that large. This is what I told her:

1. Over plan. (duh)
2. Make a list of everything you are going to need at least a week in advance. That way you can keep checking it, catching things you missed, and add things you remember at the last minute.
3. Check your recipes and your kitchen before you head to the store. Seems like a no brainer but I do it all the time and when I get home I'll have thought I had plenty of sugar and then find none. If there is nothing more I hate more than going to the store it's going to the store twice.
4. Bake a day in advance. Who wants to have to get up at 5 in the morning to make cupcakes? Not me. You can always place a layer of plastic wrap over the cupcakes and that will keep the moisture in.
5. Wait to decorate until you get there. I would be a nervous wreck if I have to transport 200 frosted cupcakes over 2 hours. No way Jose!
6. That also means you'll have to make extra. Frosting that is. You can never have too much frosting. And better to have too much than too little.
7. Take a helper, but be very clear about what you need/want them to do. My mother is the best sous chef I've ever had (sorry, Justin) but I still have to explain what I want. I have a particular way of doing things so as I'm piping things she can be adding the decorations; not until I've explained how I want them to look tho.
8. Give yourself extra time. If you have time left over you can go get your hair done, if you are pressed for time you might moss the wedding. Your choice.
9. Do not wear your nice clothes to set up. Or do. Maybe I'm the only one that always ends up covered in sugar and frosting?
10. Be nice to the kitchen staff. Sure you're the cupcake gal and everything looks awesome but you may need their help doing dishes, mixing more frosting or cutting your piping bags. No one wants to help a jerk.

So there you have it. Now I hope to see you all out there catering your friends weddings soon! :)



Tagline*Don'tBeACupcakeJerk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love, ideas, or a funny joke :)